Monday, March 3, 2014

Physicians' Stethoscopes Spreading Disease?

"Physicians' stethoscopes more contaminated than palms of their hands." ScienceDaily. n.p., 27  Feb.2014. <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140227134841.htm>



Recent studies performed by investigators at the University of Geneva hospitals have shown that physicians' stethoscopes often contain more dangerous bacteria than their hands do. These studies have proven that these doctors actually spread many of the germs that infect and make citizens sick. Discovering these results is the first of many steps to learning new and more effective ways to prevent the spread of bad bacteria.


                                        
Sergey / Fotolia. Untitled. n.d. Web. 02 Feb. 2014.

The numbers of deaths from viruses and the flu have increased over the past year, but doctors couldn't understand why. Now that this discovery has been acknowledged, many physicians have made the connection between the two. More precautions have been made to lessen the spread of contagious germs such as MRSA.

This article relates to my First Aid class the most because we learn about the different diseases you can contract from performing CPR on a victim, and how to prevent it. Even though a doctor's appointment isn't as dramatic and hectic as giving or receiving CPR, it is always good to know how to prevent the contraction of a disease. It is good to know they are doing something about the matter because after finding out about this newly found discovery, I didn't feel very safe going to the doctor's office.

This does effect me substantially because the germs from the patient before me may have been the thing to make me sicker than I was before. This is a problem, because then if people start associating doctors with further sickness, then no one will want to go, increasing their chances of dying from untreated illness. This also effects me because if my friends or family die because of germs caught from the physicians' stethoscope, I will be very upset and distraught.

2 comments:

  1. You did a really good job with your current event and your explaining, but I think that you should start using quotes in your work. Such as "quote " (authors last name) while you explain. I like the event you chose because it is something I have never heard of and my grandma is retired from being a nurse, I think I will ask her about it. What made you choose this event/topic? Why did you put your citation at the top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your topic was really fascinating to read about. I think you should of explain though more about how the stethscopes were able to spread germs so quickly. Next time I go to the doctor for a check up I will keep this in mind. How do you think doctors can prevent stethscopes from spreading so many germs?

    ReplyDelete