Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Literacy Blog 9



I feel that this is pretty crazy, but also very believable because many people in this country are obese and this may be one of the reasons why. Many people no good and well that these kinds of foods, whether they be cakes, crackers, ice cream, candy, etc, are bad for them... but they don't stop eating them. Other people keep away freom them but see them as a reward. If i run 4 miles today, I get five oreos. That would be my grattification for acheiving that goal. Either way, these foods fill a significant place in our brains- a place that creates pleasure. The taste of sugary and fatty foods seem to create a pleasurable feeling neurologically for us. I think its because if its something that we aren't suppose to have, we want it. And the fact that our taste buds react positively to sweet things also goes along with that. This is probably why we find these foods as a reward. I thing it is slightly different from taking drugs, however, because it seems to me that drugs feel like such a need. They have to have it, or that is what their body is telling them. But food is more of a want. Food is more of a comfort thing and drugs are more of a'trip'. Drugs are used to forget pain and reality. But I feel like in extreme cases of food addiction, food can have the same effects as drugs. I know that "Even though we associate significant health hazards in taking drugs like cocaine and morphine, high-fat/high-sugar foods may present even more of a danger because of their accessibility and affordability." The risk of extreme obesity is way higher, because debbie cakes and oreos are a lot cheaper than cocain, or crystal meth. I feel that this is a serious problem.

2 comments:

  1. It is very true that people in our country are obese. Everyone who is in a rush and don't have time to cook dinner will just stop by a fast food restaurant to get something quick. Though fast food is usually good, it is not always the most healthiest choices. I really enjoyed reading all of this. You did spell a few words in a different term. Like instead of know, you spelled it as no. Besides from that this was a very good blog and you did a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a good post, I love sweets. You just cannot go overboard with sweets and keep eating them, like you're addicted, I agree. I was confused at the beginning when you said that you feel like its kinda crazy, I was asking whats crazy and believable? I was very confused. It would help when you write something like this that you could say what you're writing about before you start talking about it.

    ReplyDelete